Monday, March 19, 2012

Psalm 119 - Week 10

2 comments
 
The artist usually takes great care in making His creation. He carefully works on every detail. He is proud of his work and takes great care of it. This is how we should think of God as our Creator. He fashioned us perfectly the way we are. We bear His image and I consider this an honor. How well are we bearing this image? In considering this it is good to remember that God uses many things to mold and change us to make us more and more like Him. We start to reflect Him to others more clearly as we walk with Him.

I hope you are still hanging in there with us. We are almost half way through, can you believe it?! I have not been as successful in memorizing as I would like but being in His word and plugging along is good. It will take root in our hearts as we read, hear, and study it.



Yodh
73
Your hands have made and fashioned me;
give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
I do love the thought that God is the great Creator yet He is also personal. He takes great care for His creation. Also, that we are image bearers of Him. Do you consider yourself created in the image of the Creator? 

The One who made us also made our minds and can give us understanding so we will learn His commandments. Because He loves us and took great care in fashioning us, we too should take great care in knowing Him and obeying His law.

74 Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,because I have hoped in your word.
We are a blessing to other believers when we are living for God. Others see it and rejoice. Christ can be the only thing we have in common with someone and it is enough to have much conversation. Give an example where you have seen this to be true?

75 I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous,and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.

Honestly these verses can be hard to take in just like the two from last week, however, I am continually reminded of these verses from Hebrews 12:5a-8, " “My child, don’t make light of the LORD’s discipline, and don’t give up when he corrects you. For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.” As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? If God doesn’t discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all."

I would definitely rather be disciplined then not it is proof we are HIS. God knows how to discipline us for our own good and shape us into His image this way. I am thankful for that!

76 Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.
Once I really let the amazing fact sink in my heart, that God loves me completely as I am, I was forever changed. His love for us is truly enough. Enough in life, enough for anything to help us through. When we know He loves us we can get through anything. His love is what comforts us. We must believe it and rest in it.

77 Let your mercy come to me, that I may live; for your law is my delight.
When God's discipline comes we need His mercy, when we feel it we can live. His law and promises have to be our delight. They get us through. 

78 Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
“Shame is for the proud, for it is a shameful thing to be proud. Shame is not for the holy, for there is nothing in holiness to be ashamed of.” (Spurgeon)
In contrast to the proud who loved lies, the Psalmist loved and meditated on God’s Word.  (Enduringword.com)

79 Let those who fear you turn to me, that they may know your testimonies.
In regards to those who fear God turning to the Psalmist, “As the believer finds trouble from the world, he prays that he may find help from the Lord’s people . . . It is painful therefore to see Christians often walking aloof from each other, and suffering coldness, distance, differences and distrust to divide them from their brethren.” (Bridges)

80 May my heart be blameless in your statutes, that I may not be put to shame!
 The Psalmist realizes that he too needs help in following God's statues. He requests that his heart is blameless. He realizes obedience leads to the unashamed life but God needs to be our help in living this way.

Thoughts on this week? What stood out to you?

2 comments:

mimmyto3 said...

I have several examples of conversations starting because we have Christ in common, these come from talking with residents at the nursing home where I volunteer. One just this past week started after I had taught at my bible study on kindness from the fruit of the Spirit. One little lady and I were in the elevator together, and she thanked me for teaching that because she needed to be reminded that Christ did want her to be kind to everyone. So from there we had a good conversation about how we were to live with Christ as our example.
Angela, I just want to say thanks for keeping this study going.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday sitting in my office with a client talking about my sweet girl we are expecting it was amazing to be reminded that God can use any topic to bring glory to himself and show that he holds everything in the palm of his hand. I am encouraged this week by reading the verses about God's discipline and thankful that he cares and loves us more than we do our own children. I am also thankful that David spoke on his discipline in love but also continued to seek comfort and mercy from the Lord at the same time. It is the perfect example of parenting and I pray God will help me to be able to give godly rebuke and discipline but also be of comfort and extend mercy to my wee ones. Thanks for posting and continuing the study. I am really glad to be doing this!!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff