Monday, March 5, 2012

Psalm 119 - Week 8

2 comments
 

I love this next section because it all seems to reflect on God Himself. Oh that we praise Him just for who He is not for any other reason. Yes the things He does and provides are just added bonuses but who He is is enough. Amen?!

Heth
The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
Spurgeon says in His commentary about this verse it is directly translated this way, "My Portion, Oh Lord!" It is like David after war getting his portion of spoils, in this case he is excited about his very portion being God! He is what we want as our portion when we rightly see Him for who He is.
In turn we cannot help but want to keep His words.

I entreat your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
We yearn for His favor and His presence to us is His favor. We can remind Him of His promises to us to be with us. He never leaves us yet we can wander from Him. We are desperate for Him though. We must cry out to Him in prayer.
 
When I think on my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies; I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments.
If we are thinking o pondering our way and are in His word, we will move our feet to match His way, we will do this quickly if we can really see Him for who He is and His word. We keep His commands because we love Him so and we cannot imagine anything different. We must follow Him, we are compelled because He loves us. The more we see it the more quickly we will want to obey.

Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,I do not forget your law.
Evil will always be in the world, they will always try to ensnare us, but in these times we must remember His law. It will strengthen and encourage us.

At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules.
This interests me that at midnight the Psalmist rises to praise God. And because of His Word. I love it. It reminds me of the Psalms in another place that says I will meditate on your precepts on my bed. It is interesting because in the commentary by Spurgeon it says that midnight is the robbing hour. It was when burglars came out. The Psalmist is not concerned, He instead is thinking of God.

I am a companion of all who fear you, of those who keep your precepts.
It is great we are friends with others who fear God. It is in this company of friends we will be encouraged. It helps us walk forward together on this journey.

The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes!
We can be assured that God's love is never ending and never gives up. We need to ask Him to teach us. He is the master teacher.

What stood out to you from this section? 

2 comments:

mimmyto3 said...

Verse 61:Thou the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law. I am really having to cling to God's words right now, God's promises are so dear to me this very morning. Also, at midnight last night, I was crying out to God and giving Him praise that he was sustaining me through the very hard time that is going on at the present time. I am so glad that God does so love me that He continually teaches me when I cry out to Him to teach me, reproof me and train me in righteousness. We do have such an awesome God.

Anonymous said...

I really love the last three verses. We just started a new church wide bible study in sunday school at First Baptist about transforming prayer. These three verses are such great one's to lift up to God in praise and focus on his goodness rather than what we need. At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules. I am a companion of all who fear you, of those who keep your precepts. The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes!! I pray that I will remember to praise in prayer and not only pray when I want or need something!!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff